Sunday, February 1, 2009

Divine Companionship

We did stay at the bed and breakfast last night, and I'm so glad we did. We watched K-State beat Texas in overtime, then we ate incredible Indian food at a charming restaurant we've been driving by for ten years. The hot, healthful breakfast this morning perfected the weekend.

As I was re-reading The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. in a bubble bath last night, my eyes scanned a paragraph that reached off the page and grabbed my heart. So much has been written about this brilliant, humble, loving, strong servant of God that I could never add anything of substance. I won't try. And, it would be beyond arrogant and deceitful to compare anything I've ever experienced to the abuse, hatred and suffering he and his family endured in his unending quest for justice for all God's children. But I think anyone who has walked out their faith through life's hardships can relate to these statements by Dr. King.

"If I demonstrated unusual calm during (these trials), it was certainly not due to any extraordinary powers that I possess. Rather, it was due to the power of God working through me. Throughout this struggle.. I have constantly asked God to remove all bitterness from my heart and to give me the strength and courage to face any disaster that came my way. This constant prayer life and feeling of dependence on God have given me the feeling that I have divine companionship in the struggle. I know no other way to explain it. It is the fact that in the midst of external tension, God can give an inner peace."

Yes, He can, He will, and He has. For that, I'm eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment