Thursday, January 29, 2009

Emerging From the Fog

Micah threw an all-out fit today about taking his meds. He took them without complaining before breakfast; after lunch, however, was a different story. When I told him it was time to take them again, he glared at me and said, "NO!". "You need to. It will only take a couple of minutes," I tried to reassure him. But he still refused, clamping his mouth shut tight and pursing his little lips. I had to threaten him with the ultimate punishment, a nap, before he finally agreed to cooperate.

I'm wondering if my passivity the past few days is bringing out the worst in him. He needs to know someone is in charge, and I haven't exactly given him that impression. I wish he was old enough to understand that the benefits of taking the meds will outweigh the yucky taste and time out of his routine. Maybe it's time for a reward chart...

I slowly emerged from the fog today, starting with cleaning the house. The girls helped me vacuum, dust and clean the bathrooms. Everything smelled so clean when we finished, and I felt a sense of accomplishment. Maybe I really felt a sense of control, no matter how short lived, over these circumstances. I might not have control, but I do have clean toilets and, at this point, I'll take whatever I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment