Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Strange Symptoms

Micah's been complaining of a "tummy ache" for a couple of weeks now. At first we thought it was probably a virus, but he hasn't developed any other symptoms. He's come home from school a few times because of the pain, right around his belly button, which seems to come and go very quickly. His teacher has also been taking notes to see if we can establish some sort of pattern. Right before he complains of the pain, he gets very pale and "droopy". He loses interest in whatever he's doing and refuses to eat or drink, something he never does.

I was at school for a meeting last week, and the nurse found me and said Micah had been in her office again. Since he didn't have a fever-or any other symptoms for that matter-she sent him back to class. I went to his classroom about 11:00 and could tell he didn't feel well. One of my daughters has blood sugar issues, so my first thought was that he had gone too long without eating. (At home, he eats constantly!). The teacher had offered him a snack, but he refused. I checked him out of school, fully intending to take him home for a nap and some mommy TLC. But when we got here, he wanted to eat an apple with peanut butter. Then he ate half the soft taco I made for myself. Immediately he perked up and wanted to go back to school. I took him back, and he had no more "tummy trouble" the rest of the day. The teacher and I thought we had pinpointed the problem; alas, we were wrong.

He started complaining again yesterday, and last night the pain brought him to tears. I'm baffled since I usually have an idea of what's wrong with my kids, but it seems my mother's intuition has failed this time. One thing I know for sure: something is wrong, and I'm making an appointment with the doctor right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment